The Adventures of LatteMan....

About Me


Links

Blogroll Me!

Previous Posts


Archives

Add to Google


Credits


Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker




Thursday, May 04, 2006

Reading is FUNdamental

Working with LatteGirl on her reading skills has proven to be more of a task than I thought it would be. She loves BOOKS, and since she was very little, TheWife and I have read to her. She memorizes the stories we read. She makes up her own stories to pictures in book, even coloring books. She likes doing math, and writing her letters, as well as words, provided we spell them for her.

So, as she progressed, I naturally never thought getting her to start reading would be a big issue. We have stocked her room with books of every reading level, as well as collections of books that are "phonics" books designed for an easy starting point.

But efforts to get her to read have met with far more resistance than I (or TheWife) ever dreamed we would get from her. I remember this post not that long along over at Woulda Coulda Shoulda where Mir talked about her daughter resisted reading "until she could do flawlessly." It seems that LatteGirl decided that this was the way to go as well. She is quick to point out when she sees a word she knows. I'm gathering because she considers that FUN. But having to struggle and "sound out" a word she doesn't know brings on frustration and self-deprecation. "I'm not ready." And, "I can't do it!"

Yes, I do have a point, and I am getting to it. On a typical morning, I am awake before the rest of the house, and get ready for the day, before rousing TheWife and LatteGirl from their slumber. When I got upstairs however, the light was already on in LatteGirl's room. I peeked in to find her sitting in the middle of the floor in her room, with her phonics books surrounding her, reading the stories to her "babies" (dolls). Reading it seems, has finally become fun.


Policies and Disclosures

My Frappr! Map

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from JayMonster. Make your own badge here.

Apple iTunes

 

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

 

 

 

Deal of the Day

 

OmahaSteaks.com, Inc.

 


Creative Commons License
Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.